Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tiger Fannatic

My fascination with tiger basketball began in the 07-08 season. As a student at the university of memphis, it didn't take long for me to hear about our rediculous winning streak and our 3 powerhouse players Derrick Rose, Chris Douglass Roberts, and Joey Dorsey.
During the next offseason, I became interested in recruiting. It was obvious we wouldn't be able to pull together another 38-2 run, but two names, Tyreke Evans and Wesley Witherspoon, definately got my attention. I followed the tigers for the rest of the season, all the way to their sweet 16 appearance.
I was also following the recruiting for the upcoming season. Unlike the season before, it seemed very likely that the tigers would have a legitamit shot at the national championship. With guys like Nolan Dennis, Xavier Henry, and Demarcus Cousins already committed, (and John Wall likely to follow) who would be able to stop us?
Then fans were informed that John Calipari was targeted as Kentucky's next head coach. That was the beginning of the end. Not for tiger basketball mind you, but for me. I was scrounging for information like an addict.
First, I was looking for confirmation that Calipari had accepted the job. Then, I was looking to see who would be our new head coach. That was followed by the search for an assistant coaching staff. Don't even get me started on watching the Nuggets and hoping the would go ahead and lose already so Jack Murphy could announce his plans to join the Memphis Tigers.
By this point, I was hooked, and this offseason had more stories than I could handle. We kept our team, but lost our number one recruiting class. We kept Will Coleman, though. We got a top 20 recruiting in Latavious Williams, though we ultimately lost him to China. Lance Stephenson seemed to likely, at various points in his recruiting, but eventually signed with Cinncinnatti instead. We got a little known French forward named Martin Ngaloro. Then the Barton brothers, Will and Antonio, committed to our 2010 team. Elliot williams transfered to Memphis to be closer to his home. Pilgrim looked like he would transfer here from Kentucky, but that didn't pan out. Rose and Dozier were in the news for questionable SAT scores, with the former threatening to wipe out that 38-2 national title runner up season I hold so dear. Memphis high schools were producing lots of elite players that actually seem interested in staying in Memphis.
After my obsession grew, and my friends got tired of my constant tiger talk, I decided blogging would be an appropriate way to vent some of my built up basketball anxiety. I hope you enjoy.

2 comments: